Yesterday when Elise and I checked out the op shop I found a shopping bag full of knitted squares and paid the princely sum of $2.50 for the lot. They are all knitted with acrylic yarn so will be the ideal blanket for her to use – just throw it in the washing machine and hang out to dry.
When we got home I suggested to Elise that putting all the squares together should be her winter project while she is away in Bendigo. She has two months off during the middle of the year and if there isn’t any work for her here it will be good way to fill in time.
Luckily she agreed and spent an hour this morning deciding on what square would go where. I suggested that she crochet (another new skill to learn) around each square in black then sew them together. It will give a uniformity to each square as some are a little different in size and will also mean that sewing them up will be lots easier when she doesn’t have to worry about the stitches showing. Elise agreed!!! I must be on a roll…..vbg.
This afternoon she is sewing on paper tags that will be numbered so when it comes time to sew the blocks together she will know which one goes where. A photo has also been taken using her phone – so there is no excuse now for not continuing with the rug due to not knowing what square goes where. The Quality Control Inspector aka Ajax just had to make sure she was sewing the tags on properly.