As promised here are the photos of James and Nicola’s sewing efforts from the other weekend.
James was so proud of himself. He picked the fabric – I just love the cowboys and horses on it. Sorry you have to turn your head to see them……I didn’t notice he had it sideways until I uploaded it to flickr.
James did 90 % of the sewing. I cut it out – an 8 year old boy and a rotary cutter should not make each others aquaintence just yet I feel – and he sewed the seams by machine. He even did the hand sewing to close the gap after stuffing it. The buttons were his choice and with guidance he even managed to sew the threads that pull it in and give the pincushion it’s shape.
Of course the pins had to be put into the pin cushion in their colour groups – what a pity he doesn’t do that with my pincushions.
Nicola finished off her needlecase on the weekend too.
She cut all the fabrics herself and did all the sewing – including any top sewing and the buttonhole stitch around the felt pincushion and did a really good job too.
The inside came up really well. The bulges are the tape measure and thimble already residing in their new home. James was very impressed that Nicola used the remnants from a pair of Pj’s I had made him as the lining fabric for the needlecase. He liked the fabric he informed us…..lol.
All that fancy sewing on the front panel was Nicola’s attempt to try out each stitch on her new sewing machine. I think she managed to use a fair percentage of them in the end.
Both kids are really happy with their sewing endeavours and James is now asking when will I cut out the pieces for his needle case. Now I have cleaned up my sewing room, sorted out piles of fabric and generally dusted and rearranged stuff treasures I feel a whole lot more inclined to do so.