I have discovered that the best way for me to acheive lots – especially when the children are home – is to turn my MP3 up loud, put in the ear plugs and stitch away – pretending I can’t hear or see them standing next to me…grin.
It has turned cold again today so I have spent most of the day playing making more postcards from the silk paper gum leaves I made the other night. No I haven’t had any more forays into the garden in the dark and cold – luckily I picked enough leaves the first time.
I used some iron on batting I had in the cupboard behind this one, but it went a little lumpy on me. I thought the batting might make the machine embroidered stem stand out a bit more – but I’m not sure that it did. I don’t think it’s an experiment that I will repeat.
I used more silk paper to create the flower buds and machine embroidered the “petals” or should it be “stamens” of the flowers in the new rayon embroidery thread I impulse bought today. Honest it was an impulse – I only went to the store for some visoflex – and came out with far more than I thought – 12 different machine embroidery threads (all variegated), visoflex – 2 metres, and some water soluable stabaliser which I haven’t tried before. I thought after that lot I had better get home before I broke the bank entirely…grin. The flower buds are lightly stuffed with batting then lines are sewn from their base to the edge to give some dimension. Another technique I haven’t tried before, but I enjoyed doing it.
According to my sewing machine the stitch I used around the edges of the postcards is called “Shading Stitch”. I quite like the effect and think it will be used again.