Not sure if I mentioned it, I probably did knowing me…grin, but Ashley gave me some Procion Dyes for Christmas. It was the one creative task I had been longing to try but wasn’t quite game enough to have a play and see what I could come up with.
Sharon Boggins mentioned a fabulous site for dyeing fabric in one of her posts – you can see the post here and me being me just had to have sticky beak. Thank you Sharon for pointing me in this direction – I love looking at the links you share.
Melissa has created the most wonderful tutorial with comprehensive notes and photos and recipes for dyeing – they are truly amazing. You can see it all here at Fabric Dyeing 101 Just click on the links at the side bar and read away. Grap a cuppa while you are at it and read Melissa story of how she set up a Fabric Dyeing Business too – well worth a read. I shut the office door so the kids couldn’t interupt me while I was reading it – fascinating stuff.
So having said all that I thought it high time I should you some of my first attempts at fabric dyeing. Now I have to say that things have come to a stand still as I have run out of fabric to dye (funny about that) and until there is a little more of the spending kind of paper in my purse dyeing will stay at a standstill – however there is my birthday coming up. I wonder if asking for 50 metres of white homespun might be a bit much????
This is the first lot of fabric I playing with. Using Melissa’s recipe for Rainbow #1 I created these. There are I might add a few extra peices in there (her recipe create 12 peices of hand dyed fabric) but I had left over dye and couldn’t bare the thought of throwing it out so I experimented and quite liked what I came up with. I might add I also mananged to remember to write down what I had used and the quantities and now have recipes for those colours too….see organised for once….roflol.
These are from the A6 Forest Floor Light recipe. The flash washed the colours out a bit but in real like they are just stunning. Very soft and gentle shades which I love.
I might add I didn’t try to do any solid colours – all of these are mottled and I must admit I prefer them to a solid colour. The mottling seems to add a “life” to them that solid’s just don’t have.
Of course being school holidays and the fact that James and Ashley spent a week building a model boat in the shed – meant that Nicola and I did some sewing together. Nicola created this cushion from a pattern in one of my magazines. She traced out everything, ironed on the appropriate peices, buttonhole stitched around the hearts, sewed on the borders and (after I had created buttonholes at the back of the cushion cover) sewed to to the front peice. She is really pleased with her cushion as she should be. From a minor hicup of “It’s too hard Mum!” Nicola settled down and worked really hard and did a wonderful job. She couldn’t resist using some of the hand dyed fabrics in her work.
I, on the other hand, decided I needed another bag (yeah right) and couldn’t resist making this one…..
This is the front view – and no your eyes aren’t going blurry – it’s the photo and me with the wobbles. Sorry about that.
The bag is really stiff as I used the stiff vilene in it that I used in my fabric postcards. It was easy to sew through and gives the bag some form and shape. I am using this already – theren’t nothing like a nice bright bag to cheer up you when your are shopping….grin.
So in summing up – Fabric Dyeing – if you haven’t tried it then go for it. I bought my fabric dyes from Kraft Kolour here in Victoria http://www.kraftkolour.com.au Wonderful and fast service and the prices I didn’t think were too bad either – espeically when you realise just how little of the dye powder you need to actually use. Follow Melissas instructions to the letter and you can’t go wrong. My laundry is still the same colour (so is the cat I might add as he was supervising me as I was playing) and I don’t have any strange dye spots on my arms or face- so in all I consider that to be a bonus…..roflol