at what I have been acheiving. It’s amazing what you can get done, when you just apply yourself….vbg. Plus I thought some photos might liven this blog up a little – still drooling over Alice’s lovely garden and her holiday snapshots.
Here are the only three RIPE tomatoes that we have. I think they are Tommy Toe Tomatoes – James has given them the taste test and says they are, and I quote, “Pretty Good Stuff!”. Ashley and I have cleaned up the tomatoe bed (read that as thoroughly weeded it) rearranged the watering system on some plants and sowed seeds of yellow beans, purple carrots, lettuces (although they may be too old) and some Wong Bok. Tonights effort is to start weeding the next bed although the heat may put a dampener on that idea!!
A Tomatoe Question – Would too much water be delaying them ripening? The bushes are loaded with fruit, but no sign yet of even a pinkish blush on any of them. Because of the hot days we had been pouring the water on via the automatic watering system, now we are wondering whether we have been a little too generous. Help please.
By the way do others follow the same harvesting method we do? We pick our tomatoes when they are just medium pink and let them ripen inside, not on a window sill in sunlight, but on the bench at room tempreture. It brings out the absolute best flavour. If I want them cold they go into the fridge about 1/2 an hour before we eat them, but half the time I forget to do that.
Elise was taking photos the other day and snapped this one of me working on my Ocean Doll. I was so busy concentrating on what I was doing, and had the music playing in the ear plugs that I didn’t notice or even hear her. Found the photo this morning when I downloaded the camera. How’s that for dedication? Note also the mess I work in. It took forever to sort out all the beads and buttons etc that I had pulled out for inspiration. I really should get some more divided containers and have a proper clean up.
And just to show that I have been working hard, and not just playing on the computer…lol – here is the beginning of my quilt I spoke about yesterday.
So far I have put together 12 blocks, only 24 more to go. I could only cut out 36 blocks in total from the blue fabric and I can’t buy any more because I bought that lot when Elise was only about 2 years old. Goes to show how long I have projects in the pipeline doesn’t it. Each block is very easy to put together, but at least half of the fabric peices in each block are on the bias so it means going slowly so I don’t stretch them. I still do not know if this will even fit on our bed (I want it to completly cover the whole bed, not just be folded at the foot of it), but am working on the theory that if it doesn’t, then I will just have to make another quilt in a different style.
A sewing tip, that most will know, but may prove to be useful for some.
When you are sewing a peice of fabric cut on the bias (ie it stretches) to a peice cut on the straight grain (ie it doesn’t stretch) put the fabric through the machine with the bias peice on the bottom. The feed dogs that move the fabric under the presser foot, will move the underneath fabric just slightly faster than the top peice, thereby preventing it stretching. This also works if you are sewing together curved peices of fabric.